Tile floors may still have a messy look and dirty grout even after you mop them. The best way to make your tile floors look new is cleaning its grout as well.
There are various methods on how to clean tile grout depending on the tile color and type. Whether you choose natural methods or chemical cleaners, you can surely get a pristine tile grout without too much effort.
Table of Contents
Here are the methods you can use to clean tile grout:
Method 1: Using Vinegar and Baking Soda
- Mix water and baking soda to make a paste. Mix water and baking soda for a thick paste. This is a versatile tile grout cleaner that can work with any color of grout. However, vinegar may risky to natural stones like limestone or marble.
- Make a 1:1 solution of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the vinegar solution on the baking soda paste that you applied. There will be an immediate bubbling which indicates the natural process.
- Wait for the bubbling to stop. The bubbling of the solution is the chemical reaction between the vinegar and the baking soda. This reaction usually lasts for only a few minutes.
- Scrub the grout lines with the brush. Use a toothbrush or a nylon-bristled brush to scrub the grout lines. Clean the edges and corners as well.
- Mop floor with water. Mop the floor with plain water to remove the residues of vinegar and baking soda.
Method 2: Cleaning with Oxygenated Bleach
- Dissolve 2 tablespoon s of oxygenated bleach in 2 cups of warm water. Make the solution right away for better results. Mix the solution well so that the oxygen bleach will be fully activated.
- Test a hidden corner of the grout before cleaning the floor. Some grouts may be discolored or damaged by oxygen bleach. Apply only a small amount of the solution to a corner to test if its is color-safe.
- Pour the oxygen bleach on the grout. Ensure to pour te exact amount enough to cover the tile grout.
- Use the nylon brush to scrub the oxygen bleach solution in the grout lines. Allow the solution t stay on the surface for minutes for goof results and then scrub the tile grout back and forth.
Method 3: Cleaning Grout with a Steam Cleaner
- Purchase or rent a steam cleaner. Steam cleaners are very effective in cleaning and sanitizing all sorts of grouts and tiles without using chemicals. Make sure that the steamer has correct attachments—steam hose and the small brush.
- Follow the instructions of the manufacturer on how to assemble and fill the steam cleaner.
- Fill the steam cleaner’s reservoir with water to the line according to the manual. Do not put any soap or chemical to the water in the steam cleaner.
- Turn on the steam cleaner and let it heat up.
- Move the cleaning brush back and forth the grout. The steam will be lifting grime and dirt from the tile grout and kill mildew.
- Use a mop to remove excess moisture after you clean. Be careful because the floor can be slippery when the steam condenses.